Admissions to Whittington Green School are managed by Derbyshire County Council. Click here to apply for a place at Whittington Green and for more information on Derbyshire County Council's school admissions procedures.
Students will be admitted at age 11 without reference to ability or aptitude. The Published Admissions Number for admissions is 160 at age 11 but is currently under review. The Published Admission Number is the minimum number the school must admit if there are sufficient applications received.
Where applications for admissions exceed the number of places available the following criteria will be applied, in the order set out below, to decide which children to admit:
- Children whose EHCP statement names the school
- Looked After children and children who were Looked After but ceased to be because they were adopted (or became subject to a residence order or special guardianship order)
- Children living in the normal area served by the school at the time of application and admission who have brothers and sisters attending the school at the time of application and admission
- When the child’s home is in the normal area of the school at age 11.
- Children not living in the normal area served by the school but who have brothers and sisters attending the school at the time of application and admission
- All other children not eligible under the above criteria
In the event of over-subscription falling within any one of the criteria, those children living nearest the school (measured by the nearest available route as described in the County Council Guidelines) will be given preference. The County Council has a Geographic Information System (GIS) to measure the nearest available route. It is measured by a standard walking distance calculated to within two metres. The measurement is taken from the postal address file, normally the house front door. For schools the grid reference is taken from the nearest gate or entrance to the school. All applications must be made directly to the Derbyshire LA who will coordinate admission arrangements. Parents of children not offered places will have the right to appeal and will be advised of procedures, should such a situation arise. Parents may also choose to go on a waiting list.
School uniform is available to order from Pinders Schoolwear or from school reception.
Students attending the school are expected to wear the correct standard of dress as follows:
- Black blazer with school logo on the pocket
- Plain black tailored trousers or a plain black knee length tailored skirt (no lycra or jersey material).
- Plain white shirt with formal collar and top button fastening.
- Plain black v neck jumper or cardigan*
- Plain black suitable/flat shoes. NO TRAINERS or CANVAS SHOES
- School tie.
- School bag with stationery equipment (pen, pencil etc.)
*Optional and should not be worn instead of a blazer
No logos whatsoever will be acceptable on any item of clothing. Trainers, combat trousers, black jeans, tracksuit bottoms, shell bottoms, jogging bottoms, leggings, thigh-length tight skirts, polo shirts, fashion blouses and fashion belts are not acceptable in school.
Jewellery should be kept to a minimum – one pair of stud earrings, one ring, one bracelet and a watch. Students are not allowed to wear any other facial piercing, body piercing or jewellery for health and safety reasons. Make-up should be minimal and neutral and nail varnish clear or nude.
As the weather gets colder, outdoor coats will be permitted over the top of the blazer but this will not include hoodies/zip up tops with hoods.
Students are provided with protective clothing and goggles etc where appropriate but footwear should be in a style which provides protection from the weather and any accidents that might occur in technology or science areas for example.
Students will need the following suitable clothing and footwear to take part in physical education lessons
- Jade green t-shirt or polo shirt with school logo
- Black shorts.
- Training shoes (with white/non marking soles), or, for outside activities, boots.
- Students may wear a tracksuit when appropriate.
- School hoodie (optional)